Would you like to have meaningful work with an employer that values work-life balance, and colleagues that are all-in, big hearted and solution focused? If so, then SFBFS might be the employer for you!
Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services (SFBFS) welcomes people of all backgrounds and circumstances, providing a judgement-free zone for individuals and families throughout Sacramento County. A staff of more than 80 and several thousand volunteers take our mission of fighting food insecurity one step further by offering education and support for families wanting to shape their best tomorrow. For more information, please visit www.sacramentofoodbank.org.
The Law Clerk will work with the Immigration Legal Services (ILS) team to process applications for naturalization (citizenship). The Law Clerk is responsible for interviewing clients to screen for eligibility for naturalization and identify any risks of applying. If the client is eligible, the Law Clerk will be responsible for completing the application. All work is done under the supervision of the Managing Attorney.
The Law Clerk will:
· Interview individuals to determine eligibility for naturalization and any risks of applying. (Training and tools to conduct these interviews will be provided)
· Request and analyze criminal court records as needed to assess eligibility and risks to filing
· Complete naturalization and fee waiver application forms and gathering supporting documentation for the Managing Attorney’s review
· Complete paperwork required for grant reporting
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
· Fluency in Spanish and English (oral and written) - required
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Excellent research skills
· Strong attention to detail
· Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects to meet deadlines
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
· Competency to service clients from a variety of cultures and strong desire to serve the low-income immigrant population
· Applicants with experience completing naturalization applications in a workshop or clinic setting are preferred; however, training will be provided based on the Law Clerk’s experience
· Prior experience in Immigration Law Firm - preferred
· 2L Day/3L Evening, 3L Day/4L Evening, or JD awaiting bar results - preferred
· Completion of the immigration clinic or prior participation in a naturalization workshop - preferred
· Completion of immigration law course(s) - preferred
• Part-time (19.5 hours a week), non-exempt hourly position; Monday through Friday, with occasional evenings and weekends
• Due to grant funding, this position will be funded through December 2020. This position could extend past December 2020, dependent upon additional grant funding